Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bismillah Khan seeks financial help

Shehnai maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan, who was conferred the Bharat Ratna in 2001, is upset with the government for ignoring him and has urged that all the financial promises made to him be redeemed. The nonagenarian musician has asked the prime minister, Manmohan Singh, to release all outstanding financial dues pending ‘since 1961’ so that he could take care of his needs in his old age. The visibly upset maestro stated this while autographing the cover page of a book on him compiled and edited by a journalist couple, at his dilapidated house in Varanasi last week. With tears in his eyes, the ailing musician said: ‘I don’t remember who promised what, but before I die if the Indian government gives me even one rupee then it will give me mental peace.’ He alleged that he had requested that he be allowed to play at the India Gate in New Delhi, but was denied a chance because he is Muslim. ‘The country has bestowed on me great honours, but one thing that upsets me is they have not allowed me to play at the India Gate because I am a Muslim.’ Delhi-based journalist couple Neena Jha and Shivnath Jha, who got the great musician to autograph the book, also presented him two shawls and Rs 20,000 cash to buy medicine. Khan said: ‘Since 1961 I have raised the issue with every successive prime minister and top politicians including Indira Gandhi, PV Narasimha Rao, Rajiv Gandhi, HD Deve Gowda, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, LK Advani and Sonia Gandhi but none has paid attention to my plea.’ (The New Age/Bangladesh)

No comments: